Focus on Flavour
Unlock some of the Scotch whisky flavour secrets within your favourite drams. Working through a series of short interactive exercises and pop quizzes, you’ll get to know your lipids from your lignins and learn how to attach key flavours to the part of the process in which they are likely to have developed.
Welcome & Overview
- Focus on Flavour
- The Scotch whisky categories
- Malted barley
- Does barley variety make a difference to flavour?
- Does the peat source location make a difference to flavour?
Mashing & Fermentation
- Time & hygiene
Pot Stills & Distillation
- Pot stills & reflux
- Cut points
- Where does the most flavour come from?
- Why is oak used?
- Oak species
- Charring & Toasting
- Fill strength
- Cask size
- Wood surface-to-liquid ratio
- Warehouse type
Dilution & Chill Filtration
- How dilution affects flavour
- Chill filtration
- Does chill filtration make a difference to flavour?
The Scotch Whisky Tasting Toolkit
- How to use a flavour map
- How to use a flavour wheel
- Download your copy of the SWRI flavour wheel
- The Whisky Magazine Tasting Wheel
Test your knowledge in the final quiz.
What candidates say
It's a really user-friendly system and the structure works very well. I work in the whisky industry, so much of the content was familiar, but I nonetheless learned some new things! Very comprehensive overview; whets the appetite to do more in-depth course(s).
I thought the whole event was very planned. From the booking to communication and the experienced tutors they have teaching the course. This was a far more in depth than I imagined it would be and I learnt a lot about the nuances of wood and still.
Excellent content, well presented. Worth every penny! The reference material is easy to understand and thorough. This course has a good set of materials and the instructions for experience and study are excellent.